Monday, April 16, 2007

Now that it has been two months, I am back to posting. For those readers who still visit here is a brief update of what I have been up to over the past two months. For Chinese new year I was visiting with many friends in Macau, I have two new co-workers from Holland, I have a new Chinese 'mom' who lives across the street and when I am in Urumqi I visit every week. These days life has taken a slightly different turn. I am working on the wind farm in Inner Mongolia. Inner Mongolia is still a part of China and I am five hours north of Beijing by bus. The farm is at 6000ft, so climbing up the turbines is a little be slower compared to back in Urumqi. I experience my first snow thunderstorm just the other day too. I am lucky because at work they would like me to become an international project manager, and I was feeling rather overwhelmed with that for a long time, now I have a partner in crime, who is one of the more experience guys in customer service and speaks very good English. So, part of my training process is having techincal classes in English right now I am working on learning how to read the electrical control drawings. That serves two purposes, one I actually get to learn the material and the other is that my coworker gets to practice his English. I feel like a sponge I am learning so much, I also feel like a marshmallow when I have to wear the padded winter clothing because it is still a bit cold up here.

The conditions are much more than I expected, because I am one of the only girls (the only one who goes out to work on the turbines) I have my own room and bathroom. The food is also very clean and they make sure that as a vegetarian I have something to eat. I haven't been able to ride a horse yet, but I am looking forward to the opportunity. That's all for now, I will post pictures shortly.

Peace out.

3 comments:

Naree said...

thank you missy for finally updating! i loved the youtube video of the english class -- max likes looking at girls on the street. classic and very useful line me thinks ;)

Bev said...

Hey--I was just wishing you would do an update. It all sounds like fun as well as work. What color is your marshmallow? I'm glad it worked out that you waited til spring to go to this windfarm. Have fun. love ya.

Ash said...

Wow...Rachel, I didnt know that you are vegetarian :)